Pages

Monday, August 18, 2014

Fried chickpea with crispy buckwheat shell

As a semi-permanent traveler I used to long intensively for a way to travel with beans that didn't involve cans or hours of cooking, to have always a relatively big stash in my bag. Little did I know you could fry chickpeas.

Fried chickpeas??? was one of the first things I thought when I entered my first general Asian food shop ever. I was 20 (yes, I know, but they just don't have these things where I come from, except for Japanese). I was wild. Fried chickpeas, fried peas, fried chickpea dough strips, and fried mix. Everything piping hot, making me sweat like a popping popcorn, steaming (try making popcorn with a glass lid and you will see what I mean). And it made me pop too.

Well, the thing is, I know what I will make before my next trip. If I'm too lazy I will just take canned hummus but it is very likely I will get my hands on the dough. I always do. Next time with something other than a freshly cooked meal, since it goes partly spoiled, since we like to try new flavours we find on the way and end up eating it for breakfast and not wanting to repeat it for lunch (we already ate the same thing before leaving too).


Fried chickpea with crispy buckwheat shell

Ingredients
  • 2 cups cooked/canned chickpeas (can be firm)
  • 1 tbsp cumin
  • 1 tbsp spaghetti spices
  • 1 tbsp salt (if chickpeas aren't salted yet)
  • 5 tbsp buckwheat flour
  • Coconut oil, for deep frying
Cooking Directions
  1. Drain chickpeas, making sure they are still a bit wet.
  2. Let the chickpeas marinate with spices and salt for 12 hours (1 is fine too but 12 is nicer).
  3. Add the flour, mix well, making sure the flour is well distributed.
  4. Heat the frying oil (my stove has 6 marks, I use the 5).
  5. Throw a little piece of bread or a piece of onion peel in the oil, and if it fries immediately, the temperature is good. Take off the bead/peel (so it won't burn) and add the chickpeas carefully (so you won't burn :-) ).
  6. Fry until it becomes a bit golden, about 3-5 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. I ate those last weekend. Very oily, but also extremely delicious and yummy! :D

    ReplyDelete