Pages

Friday, May 2, 2014

Kuttu ki puri (gluten free buckwheat poori)



I love Indian food. Besides being a spice junkie, I'm enticed about their ability of combining health, yumminess and variety.

I make these very often, for a nice lunch with a raw carrot, cauliflower and spring onions and mayonnaise salad (picture) and a nice green tea; and sometimes to curb my craving for chips with a much more nourishing set of ingredients at midnight while writing. I usually make dough for 2 days.

This kuttu ki puri recipe is usually made with potato to make the dough stick together. That works and it is handy, but I don't feel like cooking and chopping and mashing potato for making kuttu ki puri. So I made the buckwheat poori without potato and it worked :-) I used a very fine buckwheat flour, Doves farm. I'd say, giv it a try buckwheat flour + water and if it falls apart a bit too much add a binding ingredient (aside than potato, a spoon of psyllium husks or an egg and more flour to get the right consistency.

Royalty Free Stock Photography



Kuttu ki puri (gluten free buckwheat poori)

Yield: 2 portions
Ingredients
  • 1 part water or water+egg or mashed potato for coarser flours
  • 2 parts buckwheat flour (depending on the flour you might need quite some more, plus extra for dusting)
  • 1 pinch of salt
  • 1 drizzle olive oil
  • Ghee/coconut oil for frying
Cooking Directions
  1. In a bowl, add flour, water, olive oil and mix well with a fork until it is an even dough, adding more flour if necessary. Let it rest a bit (15 minutes) and take a ball a bit bigger than a cherry tomato, repeating with th rest of the dough, add flour to a little plate and grease your hands a bit with olive oil.
  2. Add the little ball to the flour plate, roll it around a bit to coat it with flour, and flatten it on your hands until thin (you can also use a rolling pin, yet it's easier to know if the dough is sticky when you use your hands). Let the ghee/coconut oil simmer in a frying pan.
  3. Check the ghee/oil for the temperature (add a tiny bit of dough and see if it starts frying immediately), and add the rolled flatbreads one by one (or more if the pan is really big). Fry it until it starts going golden on the side, and turn it around. Fry a minute more, and repeat with all the flatbreads you wish to eat soon. You can keep the rest of the dough for 1 or 2 days in a glass bowl with a lid (avoid sealing it).

2 comments:

  1. Wow! These look good. So they work well without eggs because we don't eat them most of the time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, but use the Doves farm brand if you wanna be 100% sure it will work, I use it all the time without eggs. It is not guaranteed against cross contamination from gluten but I don't really mind since my sensitivity doesn't go that far, I would only worry about it if I was a celiac. It is the highest quality flour for baking With other, coarser ones I recommmend adding eggs, mashed potatoes or other starchy veggies might work well too! I think I have seen a reecipe like this once

      Delete